A FATHER has died after being infected with a flesh-eating disease days after falling over and cutting himself, an inquest has heard.
Vinod Kumar was the “fittest he had ever been” when he fell over and cut himself with the 37-year-old soon after feeling dizzy and suffering flu-like symptoms.
He was examined by doctors five days after the fall, with doctors discovering he had necrotising fasciitis, a flesh-eating bug that rapidly infects the soft tissue and can kill.
Just hours after the diagnosis on August 10 2016, Kumar was dead, The Express and Star reported.
The inquest heard that Mr Kumar came home early after work on August 4 as he was feeling unwell, telling his wife he had flu-like symptoms.
The 37-year-old visited his GP, who said he was suffering from a viral infection and recommended he keep taking pain relief and drinking plenty of fluids.
But when Mr Kumar grazed his elbow in a fall, with the injury visibly swollen, he was taken to the New Cross Hospital A&E on August 9.
The man remained in hospital, treated as a trauma patient, with an MRI scan scheduled for 2pm on August 10.
‘IT WAS A LIVING HELL’
Tot suffering from a severe form of flesh-eating eczema looked like half his face had been BURNT OFF
‘IT FEELS LIKE MY BRAIN IS SWELLING’
Mum has endured agonising pain EVERY day for 3 years after catching Lyme disease
ARE YOU AT RISK?
A bout of food poisoning ‘could trigger Crohn’s disease later in life’
Find out about Ollie and Amelia Carroll, who suffer from Batten disease
Supermarket superbug alert
MRSA strain that’s killed six in Denmark found in pork sold at Sainsbury’s and Asda
But the man’s condition deteriorated rapidly with Mr Kumar transferred to the critical care unit.
He died about 5pm from multiple organ failure as a result of necrotising fasciitis brought on by a fall.
His devastated wife Nishi told the inquest at Black Country Coroners Court: “He was a loving husband and father.
“He had been going to the gym a lot. He was probably the fittest he had been.
“We need to know why it took so long to diagnose him. We need answers.”
The young father, of Foxhills Road, Spring Hill in Wolverhampton was remembered as a “great son, fantastic father and husband”.
We need to know why it took so long to diagnose him. We need answers.
His family and friends raised funds for the man’s funeral through Just Giving, writing: “Vin loved to party and we want to give him a great send off to make him proud.
“Donations will go towards funeral flowers, the wake and any remaining funds will be passed to Vin’s wife Nishi and the girls.”
Black Country Senior Coroner Zafar Siddique delivered a verdict of accidental death due to the rarity of the disease and the difficulty in diagnosing it.
In information released by the NHS, early symptoms of the disease can include a small but painful cut, intense pain and a high temperature.
Those suffering from the disease, which see bacteria releasing toxins into the body and damaging tissue, can then suffer from swelling and redness, as well as diarrhoea and vomiting.
We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online news team? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0207 782 4368